Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Cool and Comfortable in CA

Well, the problem with the air conditioner is solved!  Turned out much better than we had hoped.  Thank goodness!!  We had a 1:00 PM appointment and were out of the shop by 2:00 PM, just in time to beat the Los Angeles traffic.  Yep, even at that time you could see traffic starting to build.  Turns out the problem was RUST!  As soon as the technician opened up the motor and fan casing, he noticed spot s of heavy rust.  So he cleaned off the rust, sprayed it with a silicone spray, and all started working right away.  It has been working fine ever since (for now!).  Doug still doesn’t have a warm fuzzy feeling about rust being the only problem.  So we will just hope everything continues to work.  At least we can now get on with our travels.  Oh, Boy!! 

This morning I finished a project I had started awhile back.  Since the temps are going to be over 100 for the next few days, I figured I had better keep the RV as cool as possible inside so the AC wouldn’t have to struggle.  Several years ago, I had bought thermal drapes for the big rear picture  window after our day/night shades broke.  They work far better at keeping the heat and cold out than the shades did.  So at the same time I bought a couple more pair.  I then cut straight panels to fit the smaller windows in the RV.  I just hemmed all the edges with heat tape.  So fast and easy!  I attach them to the window on the upper metal window casing rim with Velcro.  I just leave the one part of the Velcro on the window because nobody can see it.  I just take the panels down and store them in the closet.  Then, when in a site and some of the windows get direct sunlight, I just take out only the panels I need and cover those windows under the day/night shades .  Works great!!

What prompted me to finish the panels for our two large picture windows on the dinning side of the RV are the Santa Anna winds.  Guess we hit those at the right time!  We sure have hit the weather wrong starting THIS trip!  The winds are about 25 miles an hour with gusts up to 45 miles an hour.  That means we can’t put any of our awnings out (we have 2).  So with the sun beating down with the high heat, and right on our big windows, I figured that was  a good incentive to finish my project.  Of course the interior may look like we are in a dungeon but at least we are cool and comfortable!  I can hardly wait to get further North and hope for cooler weather!  But even they are having above normal highs for this time of year.  I am just hoping for cooler temperatures than over 100 degrees! 

Heat Wave Stock PhotographyBlowing wind Royalty Free Stock Images

California is still in a severe drought and the TV stations even broadcast red flag warning areas that could be highly subjected to fires.  With the strong winds, any fire could be a real disaster.  The local fire departments have brought in extra help from other parts of the state and they are on call 24 hours a day. So let’s pray that CA gets through this drought and fire season safely.  

           Leaking faucet in dried soil Stock Photo

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got your RV fixed. We have Hutsell's coming to look at our air (in the Bungalow) on Thursday. It works but the compressor won't cycle. So it's either on full blast or off. We're hoping to get out of here on Saturday. I know what you mean about those over 100 temps. Definitely time to move north.

    ReplyDelete