Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Back Bay Wildlife Refuge With a New Friend and a Cousin

“A little sand between your toes, always takes away your woes”.  A couple of weeks ago, I was so glad a new friend at the RV park asked me to go with here and walk on the beach at Back Bay.  A nice way to break up so much idle time.  Shirley and I headed out early so we could walk before it got too hot.  Oh, my, it was a beautiful day.  We first walked a trail or two over to the bay side, then headed over to the beach that is still considered part of the refuge. 

 Back Bay Nat Wildlife Refuge 038beach and birds with Shirley 041 - CopySeagull in air

We were very fortunate to see this older fawn near the visitor center.  That was a real treat.  Plus this Blue heron was out by the pound on the way to the path to the beach. 

 beach and birds with Shirley 008 redobeach and birds with Shirley 013

We must have walked the beach for well over an hour.  Of course, when walking down the beach, you have to remember that you still have to walk back!

beach and birds with Shirley 018

All kinds of beach life was out that morning.  Shirley is a sweet new friend and we had a good time.  She was real good at pointing out the crabs so I could get some good pictures. 

beach and birds with Shirley 015beach and birds with Shirley 016beach and birds with Shirley 036beach and birds with Shirley 039beach and birds with Shirley 024beach and birds with Shirley 026

The next week, my cousin Ella wanted to go out to Back Bay since she hadn’t been there in a long time.  Funny, lived in Virginia Beach all my life and never went to Back Bay.  Here we are having sold the house to travel, left the area, and on this visit home I have been to Back Bay 3 times!  The day called for overcast and chance of rain, but our luck held out and we had a great morning to hike all the trails on the bay side of the park.

Back Bay with Ella 009  Back Bay with Ella 011Back Bay with Ella 025Back Bay with Ella 026

I know I have mentioned how I love snow covered mountains, but a walk on the beach on a beautiful day is still wonderful.  Then Ella and I headed over to walk from one part of the refuge’s beach access to the other.  I love the picture of my cousin standing in the water.  She is truly a beach girl.  Then we did a little shopping and had lunch.  Her company will sure be missed after we leave.   But we will have more fun together when we return. 

Back Bay with Ella 032Back Bay with Ella 033

No comments:

Post a Comment