Thursday, September 24, 2015

Little Beaver State Park, Beckley, West Virginia

Sept. 21. Wed.  Ah..It is Fall.  We are in the mountains.  We are camped in the woods.  Already saw deer.  You know I am HAPPY!!  We left Richmond Virginia this morning at 8:30 AM and headed West.  We had a nice short visit with my son at his new built house.  It was great to see the grandkids one more time before heading to our winter destination.  I tried taking pictures with my Smartphone but it was too dark.  We camped at the Defense Supply Base just as we did in May and  again in June when picking up the kids to take them camping.  Of course, I had to go play with the Elk as posted in a May blog.  The herd was right next to the fence at the feeding troughs.  It gave me a good chance to get really close for some good shots.  I still can’t believe there is an Elk herd in downtown Richmond, VA! 

Elk at Richmond DFS (6)Elk at Richmond DFS (7) wordedElk at Richmond DFS (12)Elk at Richmond DFS (15)
It was a beautiful day for our drive along the Skyline drive and West through a portion of interstate that is quiet, serene, not very populated, and just goes up and down through the mountains.  The day was still a little warm but such a reprieve from our summer long heat and humidity.  
WV sign PEWest VA Drive 003 redo
We area camped for two days at Little Beaver State Park near Berkley, WV.  The road to the park was winding and through the trees to this really pretty place.  We are tucked back under the trees in this small campground along with very few other folks at this time of year.  The leaves are just beginning turn to the beauty of Fall color.  
West VA Drive 008West VA Drive 019West VA Drive 017West VA Drive 020West VA Drive 015
I have already seen 4 dear this afternoon in the campground.  I had dropped off my camera but a newcomer came by and sent them into the woods anyway.  But all was not lost!  After dinner, at dusk, I walked a short way through the woods behind our site to the open field behind as and there were 8 deer out feeding.  So I had a good time taking lots of pictures.  Guess I’ll get up early tomorrow and see what I can find!
deer at Little Beaver St.Pk 007deer at Little Beaver St.Pk 003deer at Little Beaver St.Pk 020deer at Little Beaver St.Pk 023

No comments:

Post a Comment