Wednesday, January 1, 2014

‘A Hiking We Will Go… A Hiking We Will Go….!’

And what a hike!  I have joined the Wednesday hiking club because I enjoy moderate hikes and Doug can’t hike much because of a little arthritis.  Today was my 1st hike of 4.3 miles.  The group drove about 30 miles south of town to Tubac and the Anza National Trail head.  There were 40 of us!  The hike today is a tradition of the park to do this trail on New Year’s Day.  What a beautiful day for a hike!  Blue sky, slight morning chill, and great scenery!  Everyone was excited. It warmed up to 70 degrees.

New Year's day hike 036 New Year's day hike 010

A group hike panA cartoon hiker Stock Image

The trail started in the valley beneath the above mountains.  Parts of the trail were in the open and parts were wooded.  It was relatively flat so was a pleasant pace through gorgeous views of surrounding mountains.  Yep, I had my camera and it was busy! Hike..stop..click,  hike..stop..click!  I just soaked in the views!  I loved it!  We hiked, made new friends, talked, joked, and I got to meet some more really nice people.  The trail was winding and we even crossed a small river and a few streams.  The bridges across, if you could call it that, were just boards or logs and we were like kids bouncing on them as we crossed.  What was a little water on our shoes!?  Yep, that’s me and my shadow in the second picture!  Some of the faster hikers went on ahead and us ‘old slowpokes’ took it a little slower.  We even had an ‘Advil break’ to ease those old knees and aches.  One little lady in our group was our leader and she was 80 years old!  That’s what exercise and fresh air will do for you!

New Year's day hike 029 New Year's day hike 023 

Here is some of what we saw along the trail:

New Year's day hike 024  New Year's day hike 028

New Year's day hike 034  New Year's day hike 035

We even shared the trail with some horseback riders.  Pretty horses!  The two dogs were having a ball romping along behind the horses.  The riders were saying hello to everybody, and because the guy was dressed like a cowboy, I couldn’t resist.  I said “Howdy” instead of just “Hi”!

New Year's day hike 030  New Year's day hike 032  rider

Then to end this beautiful day, about 26 of us descended on the Cow Palace Restaurant a few miles back towards Tucson for lunch.  The waiters did an excellent job of serving such a large group.  I think we flustered them because the look on their faces when we entered was one of mild shock! Neat place and good food.  Boy! Did it feel good to sit down!  I am going to feel it tomorrow!  I am stiff already, so bring on my warm milk and more Advil!  

New Year's day hike 037New Year's day hike 039

1 comment:

  1. You are going to be in such great shape. I'm surprised you didn't ask if you could ride the horse.

    ReplyDelete