Sunday, December 1, 2013

An Uplifting Sunday Morning

I was really spiritually uplifted this morning.  I went to the Branded Cowboy Fellowship church service where boots, jeans, cowboy hats, steel guitar, electric guitars, and cowboy religious songs were all part of this gathering of about 100 people from babies to the elderly.  It was ‘Amazing Grace’ in that corner of the covered outdoor arena at the rodeo grounds.  Those people came out on a cool, dreary, damp morning to sit in the dirt at picnic tables or portable chairs with hot coffee, hot chocolate, and fresh doughnuts to share in Christian fellowship.  Everything was casual like the cowboy way is, especially here in Texas.  The minister, who looked to be in his late 30s or early 40s, started off with songs played on his guitars and his voice was captivating.  It had a deep tone to it with that cowboy twang.  He was so good that I could have listened to him for hours.  Then it  was time for the sermon and he stepped down off of the wooden small stage and delivered his message in a very informal and personal way.  It was light hearted with the serious thrown in.  He had the type of personality and speaking voice that just drew you in.  He talked ‘to us’ and not ‘at us’.  I was sorry it was over!

This is a brand new cowboy church that this group of people have started.  They are growing and it is so refreshing to see young people come with their parents and get involved with something like this little church.  There are cowboy churches all over Texas.  They are non-denominational. They may have similar names but are all part of the Cowboy Church association.  Just good old laid back great gospel teachings with good wholesome Christian people. 

It was a very special day for this church today.  The church had their very first Communion and first baptism.  The baptism was in a horse trough!  They baptized 10 young people and they didn’t seem to mind that cold water.  I am glad I got to witness it.  As a celebration, there was a fish fry for lunch.  Good food and the chance to meet new people.  I sat with an elderly couple who now live in Livingston. The husband was retired Navy like Doug.  His wife was from Kansas, not too far from Chanute, where our RV factory is! Small world!  They looked to be in their early 80s and used to be avid motorcyclists.  They were telling me how much they enjoy cowboy churches by going to different ones but really like this one. 

As I was leaving, I told the minister how much I enjoyed his service and was inspired by it and his great voice.  I asked him if I could fold up his church and tow it behind our RV to take it with us!!  He got a big chuckle out of that and I wished him the best of luck in his endeavors. I have never been to such a different yet so very pleasant church like this one before.  Now I know what a ‘cowboy church’ is.  I am so glad I made the effort to go and was so wonderfully rewarded.  I am going to see if we are near any similar in Arizona this winter.  

   1136079537[1]

After lunch I walked with the same lady I walked with yesterday.  She is so nice and we have been to many of the same places and share some of the same likes and dislikes.  We just didn’t seem to run out of things to talk about!  Another couple we met on our walk yesterday called us ‘the twins’! My new friend and I exchanged contact information since they, too, may wind up in Tucson, AZ!  That would be great fun!  To think we just happen to meet doing laundry!  We keep meeting the nicest people in our travels! 

The rest of the day was spent putting things away, and cleaning.  Boy! Oh, Boy!  We are on the road to Austin tomorrow and I can hardly wait to leave! I have already ‘googled’ and highlighted things to do!  We are getting the trailer weighed before we leave (keeping our fingers crossed we are not overweight) and then we are hittin’ the trail………….

“If you're ridin' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there with ya”!  Applies to your RV as well!!

    horse back riding on trail

2 comments:

  1. Your Cowboy Church sounds like a really neat place. Hope you can find one when you get to Tucson. I thought about you a couple days ago. We were in the saddle shop here in AJ picking up some Christmas presents for Jim's sister. We got her a horse paper towel holder and a neat cowboy tin lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may have to visit that store again myself when we are there.

    ReplyDelete