Thursday, December 12, 2013

Horsin’ Around! Literally!

I heard horses whinnying when we first arrived at our campground.  Horses!  I have to go find them!  I want to pet them!  Here on the Ft. Sam Houston Army Base is an Equestrian Center just behind the campground.  We drove back to the center and it is a huge setup for boarding horses plus 3 very large paddocks for grazing.  (Notice how I am into the cowboy horse talk?!?) There are individual small paddocks with sheds for rent plus a large stable.  Riding lessons are also offered.  There are lots of horses back there and I just had to visit more than just once!  All the horses would come up to the fence and let me pet them.  It was fun to play with them! But I don’t think I could ride again.  I used to ride at a couple’s old farm when I was in high school.  For $10 an hour you could ride around a large track.  Somehow I always wound up with the one that wanted to just stay in the barn and headed that way each time we came back around the track!  They had to keep the doors to the barn closed so I could get my money’s worth!

Riverwalk and horses 024  Ft. Sam Houston horses 006

Riverwalk and horses 042  Riverwalk and horses 039

Look at this sad face!  He just wants somebody to pet him.  He looked so sad.  “I just want somebody to play with!” Then the other two seemed to be saying “Come on, give us a kiss!” 

Riverwalk and horses 021   Riverwalk and horses 045 

Now meet my friend Ruby! A really sweet loving donkey.  She is only 18 months old.  She belongs to a retired Army chaplain.  Ruby also has a buddy named Scooter.  You can see Scooter is large and that is because he is a  Mammoth Mule, meaning he is a larger breed of mule.  The chaplain is training Ruby to walk with Scooter so she can get use to walking close together on trails.  The chaplain and his wife are moving north of Dallas and will use  Scooter and  Ruby to go camping in the back country of Texas and other places.  Wow! That sounds like a nice adventure, just like the old trappers in the old west.  Ruby just didn’t want me to leave and kept trying to lick me and my camera! She quickly became my favorite!  Such a sweetheart! How could I resist that face?!?

Ft. Sam Houston horses 012  Ft. Sam Houston horses 013  cartoon-donkey-behind-fence-14778877[1]

  Ft. Sam Houston horses 003 

I got a real “horse fix”! That is until I find some more!  Doug asked me if I wanted him to buy me a horse!  Just kidding of course, but we could always sell our RV and get one of those horse trailers that has living quarters in the front of it.  That way I guess you are are sleeping with your horse!  Doug would probably put me on top while driving to hold the hay bales down!   Nope, I’ll just continue to pretend I am a cowgirl!   

So we finished our business we had scheduled here in San Antonio, got a new RV tire,  groceries are resupplied and laundry is done.  Even hit one more BBQ place.  Pretty good! So tomorrow, off we go for an 8 hour drive to Pecos, Texas, for just an overnight stay.  Got to head further west!   

1 comment:

  1. Ruby is definitely a sweetie. Glad you got your horsey fix and are ready to move west. There must be horses in Tucson.

    ReplyDelete